Just some random notes from the weekend:
- What did folks think of the new “ribbon boards” which now hang on the lip of each upper deck? I thought they were a nice addition, though I’d like to see more stats and less advertisements. The lyrics during the Alma Mater and the Star Spangled Banner were nice, except for some curious punctuation during the national anthem. Seriously, how many question marks did you think were in that song? Apparently quite a few. Hands down the highlight of the new scoreboard is that when Devine makes a big play the first thing the fans are treated too is a fifty foot shot of his gold grillz. Nice touch U.
- I didn’t have this forum last season, but the University slighted some seriously hardcore Mountaineer fans by doing away with the standing room section which was in the vicinity of the Touchdown Terrace and team shop. I think a decent standing room section is a must. It was such a treat to know exactly where you could find a good view of the game and a great place to meet friends. I’m even more pissed about it because during the first half of the game Saturday I was reminded that I’m too old to be up in the student section. The irony, of course, is that it wasn’t students who were the most foolish people around me this weekend, but folks a little older than me “re-living” their time in Morgantown. I’m a peaceful guy, but I was this close to throwing an elbow to bloody some chud’s nose.
- Would anyone else love to see us run a two-qb system? I sure would. It definitely jeopardizes J.B.’s ability to be an effective back-up to #5, but it could be absolutely lethal. Imagine White, Brown and Devine breaking the huddle with an opposing defense with no clue who would take the snap, run the ball, or line-up at receiver. I think that fraction of a second would be all it would take to see us running roughshod over opponents again.
- How great was it to see Owen Schmitt back at Mountaineer Field? I swear the rowdiest the student section got during the second half was when they showed him (still rockin’ the mohawk!) on the video board.
- Another great day in the League for Steve. Our boy Slaton racked up 116 total yards on 10 carries and 8 receptions which included catching a 30-yard TD pass to find paydirt for the second consecutive week. Highlight’s are here. Downside, of course, is that his Texans are win-less at 0-3.
- Finally, check out the Hurting Dolphins podcast. It’s hosted by my friends Pat and Mike, and it’s pretty damn funny. I can’t say their podcasts are about anything in particular, but it had me laughing all morning while I put off working on my Master’s Thesis. For doing such a good deed, they deserve a link.